Sunday, October 20, 2019

Prototype

I have decided to go for a horror style game in which you will wander around an area, engage in combat with enemies and try to survive. I have chosen this because I enjoyed the details that I was able to achieve with lighting while learning unity.

What is working?

As previously mentioned I have been having success with lighting in my unity experience. Changing colour, intensity, direction and the like have given me some ideas I could use in my game. Perhaps I could make a handheld light that other horror games typically use to build suspense as you don't know what is coming from far away. It gives me a lot of options I can use to build an atmosphere in my game. I have also found things like building an area to be quite easy, molding shapes to be whatever I need them to be is a simple experience for me at the moment so I could definitely make something interesting in my game.

What am I finding difficult?

Some things in unity can be a bit finicky for me. If you go back to my first blog post about using unity you can see that I struggled with the environment a little. Tutorials seem to all be using different versions of unity which makes following along a bit more difficult but not impossible. There really isn't anything else I'm particularly struggling with, every issue I have can normally be worked around or there is a solution online. Deciding exactly what I am going to make is not clear at the moment but I think I will figure it out in due time.

Image result for unity

https://i.udemycdn.com/course/240x135/1210008_6859.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Hi Liam, I loved reading your blog on your prototype for your game. I think the idea of a horror game is a great route to go down because I am a huge fan of horror games and feel like that there is not enough of them to play. I think your game is going to turn out excellent and I hope your journey to making the game is fun and you enjoy it.I am looking forward to play your game and wish you the best of look in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liam,

    Going with a horror game is a good choice and using your knowledge of lighting through tutorials will be really helpful. Unity can definitely be finicky at times but like you said, there is usually a work around or a way of finding information online.

    Looking forward to seeing where you go with your game!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liam,

    I think you have a very interesting idea for your game. I'm not a big fan of horror but I think it would be very interesting to see how you create a horror survival game. I, myself, have been struggling with trying to follow the tutorials as they are an older version, as you said it's not impossible but it definitely is annoying. I'm very excited to see how your game comes out and I wish you the best in creating it.

    Ingrida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liam,

    I think your idea for a horror game is really cool, I love horror games myself and can't wait to see what you do with yours. The fact that you chose a game genre that played to your strengths in Unity is very clever and I can agree that moulding the environment of the game is pretty easy and fun to do. I think you could do something really creative with your idea for a handheld light source like the ones they have in other horror games and depending on what you do with it it could really set the atmosphere of your game. I really enjoyed reading about your prototype.

    - Casper :)

    ReplyDelete