Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Games MDA

Games MDA

https://vimeo.com/288331391

The main thing I took away from the reading this week was the various different types of fun and how I, as a game designer, could implement them into any future games I make and how I could go about doing this.

The 8 types of fun are as follows:

Sensation - Games as a sense of pleasure

Fantasy - Game as make-believe

Narrative - Game as Drama

Challenge - Game as obstacle course

Fellowship - Game as social framework

Discovery - Game as uncharted territory

Expression - Game as self discovery

Submission - Game as pastime

This intrigued me as I started to think about what it was that my favourite games did that made them fun and fitting them into the categories was quite interesting as I found the 2 most common types for me were fellowship and challenge.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-08-why-are-video-games-fun

This article posits that it is almost the simulation aspect which makes a game fun and attractive for people. Saying it gives them an opportunity to "try on new hats" and to become their ideal selves. This also interests me because video games definitely give people an opportunity to do things they would never do in the real world and to take risks that in a realistic setting they would certainly not take.

https://venturebeat.com/community/2013/04/16/why-do-we-love-video-games/

This article puts forth that the reason we find video games fun is because they offer an escape. This ties back to the second article that says it's about trying new roles we would never be able to in the real world. It also states that it is the sense of accomplishment which drives people to play video games, it gives them something to work towards which I suppose ties back to the "Challenge" type of fun. Players will work towards a goal for a while and upon achieving it will feel a sense of accomplishment that you simply don't get with TV and movies.

https://www.officevibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/why-fun-copany-culture-goodi-for-business_quote2.png

Image result for fun business



No comments:

Post a Comment