Sunday, November 10, 2019

First playable game

To actually lay the groundwork of my game I decided to throw away the other things I had made and to start fresh so I could really build from the ground up and make the game exactly what I wanted.

I decided to just keep it simple in this opening stage and to just make a small area the player can walk around in and for it to work. I made a small area and made it very dark as I am making a horror style game. I made the area simple enough and it's got some pretty on point lighting. I started with just a small room which will serve as a spawn/tutorial area where players can familiarize with the controls and learn what the game is about. I'm happy with the small amount of content I have so far as it works as intended and I didn't encounter many problems.

Problems
The only problem I had was adding textures to objects sometimes. They work sometimes and don't other times and I'm not sure why. I have plenty of time to figure it out or find a work around but at the moment I am stumped as to why I am not able to get textures on some items but can on others. tutorials on youtube are somewhat helpful but don't solve all my problems like I wish they would but its up to me to figure it out and I'm confident I will in due time.

4 comments:

  1. Well a good day to you Liam.

    It seems interesting that you have decided to start completely fresh with some new take on the concept that you were planning on making in the first place as sometimes your original idea may have not fleshed out in the way that you wanted it to be but I am glad that you are committed. If I were to ask one thing it is that what was your original vision that you had that you had decided to scrap so I can see where you want to change or the complication that you had from it. If there is a way that I can give you any indication of some extra stuff to add I would suggest that you can always start with a simple to make object and use an easy beginner tutorial and go from there.

    But all in all, I can tell from your short blog that you have made here and I look forward to seeing what you have made that no matter what it will be great from whatever you make.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liam,

    First of all how are you? I am glad to see that you are on top of your work and you are understanding where you are at with all the clashes of assignments and projects. I am very interested to see where your games goes from here. I am however sorry to hear that you have to start fresh because your original idea was a little to hard for you. I also had the same problem so I changed up my game too. I wonder if you are having problem with texture just go to the first 4 weeks about texture and use that to be able to relearn the tutorial all over again. The video might be a little outdated but at least it is still able to help you like it helped me. I would like to say that since you are making a horrer game you should have some horror items like an axe or a weapon of some sort and have some blood in it somewhere to make it look realistic.

    Anyway that is all I can give you. Good day.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liam.
    I really enjoyed reading your blog today and found it to be very interesting and very well written. I like the fact that you noticed your first game idea did not have any substance to it so you changed you idea. You are right about keeping it simple as it is better to have a fully working game rather than a half finished mess in my opinion.
    anyway great blog and I look forward to reading more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there Liam,
    I loved reading your blog on your first playable for your own game. The layout of the blog made it very easy for me to keep track of where and what I was reading. I think your game is going to be very good and I am looking forward to playing it. I wish you luck for the rest of the year and hope you will enjoy your journey.
    Cya Soon,
    Aaron Hogan.

    ReplyDelete